Generally, when people are asked if they would start an online freelancing business, a significant number of individuals express great hesitation and wariness. Some persons even laugh at the notion that being a freelancer is profitable enough to replace a 9-5 job. These responses are greatly driven by fear. I am proof that anyone has the potential to become a successful Online Entrepreneur, once we can overcome the fear of the unknown virtual work environment. I am going to share practical ways for overcoming the fear of freelancing online. My advice for overcoming the fear of freelancing online are:
Understandably, if we don’t know how something works, we feel hesitant about investing our time, money and efforts. Especially if our livelihood depends on it, many of us don’t feel brave enough to take the risk. The simple solution for this is to research, research, research.
Since our lack of knowledge about the unknown terrifies us, then we should find the answers to our questions. The first step is to read up on the freelancing platforms so that we can identify the one that best fits us. We can approach this in the following ways:
- Searching online blogs, YouTube channels and any forum or space that gives reviews and opinions based on other users’ experiences.
- Checking the “Help” area on the site for automatically generated answers for frequently asked questions.
- Ensuring that we take the time out to read up on the privacy policies, and the terms and conditions for each site that we may use.
Take this advice and go ahead and conquer your fear with knowledge!
2) Weigh the Pros and Cons
The reality is that everything we do in life has positive and negative outcomes. Hence we have to weigh the pros and cons so that we can identify what best suits us, what gives us the best rewards and determine which option we are most comfortable with choosing.
As you weigh the pros and cons of whether being an Online Freelancer/Entrepreneur is better than relying on a 9-5 job, I want you to try the following steps:
- Make a “dealbreaker list”. This is a list of all the things that are important to you when you’re deciding which type of job/career is a good fit for you.
- Create 2 additional lists, one for the Online Freelancer and the other for working a 9-5 job.
- On these 2 new lists, note the advantages and disadvantages of each option.
- Compare your results to see which one has more advantages than disadvantages, and determine which work option meets most of your requirements for your ideal job/career.
These steps will ensure that you know what you want and you can let the facts guide your decision, rather than your fears.
3) Choose What Works Best for You
Not everyone is going to want to solely rely on earning from an online freelancing business when a 9-5 job offers certain securities and benefits. That’s okay! Some may even find that they prefer to use this avenue as a convenient extra source of income. However, we should never limit our decision because of fear. Instead, let us objectively and honestly consider our options.
After researching and weighing the pros and cons, we must be honest with ourselves. Let us bear in mind that when we are deciding whether or not we will become a freelancer or a 9-5 job employee, we are asking ourselves if we are ready to become a boss.
However, there is no pressure! Know that we can freelance as a side hustle, transition from a 9-5 job to becoming an Online Entrepreneur, or boldly take the plunge to start a freelancing business.
Whatever we do, we must choose what is best for us. I did it, now it is your turn. Go ahead and choose what is best for you.
Connect with me on:
Instagram Click Here
Facebook Page Click Here
Facebook Community Click Here
LinkedIn Click Here
Tune in on YouTube Click Here
Check out my Online Course Click Here
You can also click here to check out my previous blog post.